Friday, July 1, 2011

Day in Chicago, part 4 of 5--Palmer House

One block south of Carsons is the former C.J. Peacock and the Palmer House. These doors used to be in a jewelry store next door. When that business closed, they moved the doors into the entry way of the Palmer House. Aren't they gorgeous? Can you imagine going through them to buy jewelry? Even if you could only afford a bangle, it would feel totally indulgent.
IMG_0656
To get into the lobby of the Palmer house, you have to walk through the ground floor, to the back, and then take an escalator up into the lobby. It is a magnificent space! 3 stories high with a gorgeous ceiling. There were tons of people here, but it still felt quiet and refined.

IMG_0660
Most of my pictures of the ceiling did not turn out great. The edges are all in the Della Robbia style, almost like 3-D wedgewood applied to the ceiling, but it was paint. There were 12 canvases (pictures) surrounded by all the "wedgewood" designs.

IMG_0661
In the picture above you can almost see the name of the room on the north side of the lobby: The Empire Room. It has a flight of stairs leading up to it flanked by these beauties:

IMG_0664
According to our guide, these bronze lamps were designed by Tiffany as well. We went up the stairs and peeked in the Empire Room. No one was up there, and we could gaze to our heart's content. This feels, to me, like the epitome of elegance. It used to be a night club, now they have conferences and (high end) banquets there. Could you imagine a wedding reception?

IMG_0666

IMG_0667
It made me feel like I was in a night-club in White Christmas, where Rosemary sings the torch song. One of the people in our party had gone to prom there! If I had a limo to get there and back, it might be fun to have a night out on the town like that, but most of the time I prefer my home, and my knitting.
Just to not go too far off topic, I wanted to let you know that I started crocheting a tote bag that will be felted. I got the shaping on the base done, and then I could do the straight stitching (no increases, no turning, no counting) on the train up and back.

No comments: