Friday, October 1, 2010

Finished Queen Anne's Lace Temari

I didn't think it would take too long to finish the green and the chickory part of this temari, but I didn't realize it would go this quickly. I stitched grass-like leaves, I finally just went ahead and stitched them with spindles with pearl #5. I added a center of a black french knot (there is always a black "something" in the center of Queen Anne's Lace flowers) and just used ribbon stitch to put in 3 chickory flowers. I may put in one more, but no more than that. I had pictured anywhere from 12 to 20 of them, but I think that would have been too busy.

I think this is the first time I started with an idea, and was successful in making it happen. I am very pleased with the design of this temari... the stitching could use some improvement.

The marking thread I used was Kreinik gold cord. It is very fine, and works well on multi-pole temari. It is a little fragile, and tends to kink, but it leaves plenty of space for other stitching.


No pensaba que tomaría demasiado tiempo para terminar la parte verde y el achicoria de este temari pero no me di cuenta de que rápido terminaría. Borde hojas verdes, que parecen pasto, usando perle No. 5. En el centro de cada flor de Queen Anne's Lace puse un nudo francés. Todas las flores de este tipo que he visto tienen algo negro en ese lugar. Use el punto cinta para hacer tres flores de achicoria. Quizás agregare un mas, pero no mas que eso. Había pensado en agregar 12 o 20 flores de achicoria, pero eso seria mucho demasiado ocupado.

Creo que esta es la primera vez que comencé con un idea, y llego a pasar lo que estaba pensando. Me gusta muchísimo el diseño; el bordado podría mejorar.

El hilo que use para marcar el temari lo hace Kreinik. Es muy pequeño y sirve bien para un temari de muchas caras. El hilo se rompe fácilmente y forma nudos, pero deja lugar para otras puntadas.

This is a picture of one of my photography assistants this morning. I had to remove each of them, at one time or another, before they finally got bored and went to take care of other mischief on their morning agenda.


A friend dropped this off at my door last night, our Guild made the papers! Aren't we all lovely!


Thursday, September 30, 2010

Some progress

I've been stitching away on this temari, but there is a lot to do. I finally finished the flowerets, now I am looking for the right green to stitch the grassy leaves. I don't have a pearl #8 that will work, and I think #5 will be too big; I should probably look for floss. Once I find the right color the stitching will go quickly.

The silk ribbon arrived several days ago.


He estado trabajando en esta temari, y por fin termine las florecitas blancas. Ahora estoy buscando un color verde para bordar el pasto. No tengo un color adecuado en Perle No. 8, y creo que No. 5 va a ser demasiado grande. Creo que voy a tener que buscar entre mi hilo de bordar. Una vez que encuentro un buen color, el bordar ira rapidamente.

La cinta de seda para los flores llego hace varios dias.

DH took this picture a couple of nights ago. You can see my lap full of three cats. Fortunately they were too sleepy to be interested in my thread, plus they know if they start playing with it they will end up on the floor.

Their foster mama (DD2) is not here any more, so I think I have been adopted.


Monday, September 27, 2010

I finished my mittens!

I finished my mittens last Monday! I'm not wishing for cold weather to use them, because that will come soon enough, but I'm ready. I still have to weave in my yarn ends, but that should only take a couple of minutes.

They are huge! Amazingly, too, they look like each other, the stripes match up. I think I tried to start with the same color in the sequence, and it worked.


I worked on this project during the slow times at the volunteer work I do at my church. Knitting or crocheting is good, because the light isn't wonderful, and I can drop it at a moment's notice when things get busy. I have to decide on a new project... I have supplies for several:

Another set of mittens (I have yarn for 2 more sets)
A "pink" prayer shawl
A Barbie sweater
chair pads from fabric strips
knit scarves for 10 friends, in 2 weeks (I'm not sure I have nice yarn for this)

I will let you know what I decide.