Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Thimble

I finished the shadow trapunto on Saturday, and started wondering what to do next. I've been gathering all the thimble supplies in one place (these are so small they fit nicely into a small pouch) so I had this at hand. I had started some time ago. This is the first base I made myself, and it is 95 mm around. The ring turned out big enough to fit the other 2 thimbles I have through the center (snugly). I have to find a new smaller mold to make my bases on. I put a leash on this guy so he wouldn't get lost. Several times when I was stitching I couldn't find it when I got back to my chair, and that was with threads and needles hanging off of it.

100_1892

The top picture kind of impresses me a little bit, the stitching looks very even from this angle, better than I was expecting.

100_1893

This is an extreme close-up (which turned out in focus, for a change), and I can see the flaws better than I can in person. The stitching isn't perfectly even at the top and the bottom, and there are small gaps in the last row. I am actually very pleased with how it turned out, and as soon as I finished, I wanted to start another. There are only two things holding me back.

1) I have to find the right mold (see above).
2) DH is right! I want more silk threads to have more colors to play with.

I think I am going to copy C and start asking for them for my birthday now. C asks for something for her birthday several times a week, and doesn't really mind that it is (currently) more than 8 months away. If I start asking now, I might get them next year (in 11 months, LOL). Or, if I start saving now, I could buy them for myself by then. I could even buy them outright next week, but we are saving for vacation. I do have my eye on a set from Chloe Patricia here. Champagne taste, you know.

No comments: