Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Guild Meeting

We didn't have an official guild meeting last night. Our project this month was to make blankets for the Children's oncology dept. of a local hospital, so as soon as we managed to unlock the door (yes, we have issues, and yes, we are looking for a new place to meet) people started making blankets.

There are only a couple of steps:

1. Buy 2 lengths of fleece that coordinate with each other.

2. Cut fringe through both layers on all four sides.

3. Knot fringe together.

100_1800

This is the fleece I brought, monkeys, leopards and zebras. The blanket turned out so soft and cuddly I was tempted to take it home with me! We had so much fun visiting, and everyone pitched in. You can read more about the process here (when I get to it, please check back).

Last Friday I felt like I had ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). I had just finished 3 projects, and I had to choose a new one, C requested a crocheted valentine and 3 stocking hats for the girls, and I got the felt stocking kit for P, and of course I had to open that and check it out. So I started my mittens and I felt a lot better. They are not beautiful.

100_1827

But they are already amazingly warm. This is a picture of the right one, from the back of the hand. (There are two different colors of yarn. I used one for the cuff, and then started the second one right before starting to crochet the thumb.) The loose thread under the thumb is a marking thread, and the threads coming out of the top are the working threads. I have been totally engrossed in them, which is how I got this far. I think I should have stuck with one color, but I will still wear them because of the way they feel. That is, when I get them done; there's a whole 'nother one to crochet yet.

2 comments:

Moonsilk Stitches said...

Oh, I don't think they're ugly at all--I like bright colors in winter and nothing trumps warm!

MOM said...

These look so interesting. I have never seen anything like them. Amen to bright colors and warm.