Monday, November 30, 2009

Temari Friday

Thursday was a very nice day. Church in the morning was full of fun, fellowship, and good music, with a good chance to give thanks. The rest of the day involved preparing food, eating food, and cleaning up afterwards. No one got too stressed out, I did the turkey & stuffing, DDs did the potatoes and green bean casserole, DD2 and C set the table, and the guys played video games and carved the turkey (after fixing the cord on the electric knife, used once a year, that was mysteriously cut in the past year) and opened the wine. I'm thankful for my dishwasher. It ran 3 times that day and one the next.

On Friday, instead of shopping, I went to visit a fellow temari-maker in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. We were partners for the autumn GITS (Great International Temari Swap) and I wanted to deliver the temari I made to her in person.

100_1631

This is the temari I mentioned several days ago that I couldn't show. We were to use the colors we saw out of our own window, and feature the mistubane (tri-wing) shape/motif. I saw this pattern in one of my Japanese books, and thought it would fit the bill perfectly. It reminded me of fluttering, falling leaves. It is based on a c10 division, but I was shocked when I was done. When I studied the placement of the design, I saw it was based on a c8; I never knew before that you could find a c8 in a c10...

This is Ann and me taking a break from stitching and chatting. We had a wonderful time together, and I really enjoyed seeing all her beautiful temari. I learned a thing or two, got some ideas for displaying temari, met her family, and in general had a very nice day.

100_1655

She had her temari for me prepared as well. Isn't this beautiful? All the leaves against the clear blue autumn sky.

100_1656

We stitched the whole time I was there, and then I drove back to Chicago-land, getting to the area in time to sign the down-payment check for a new car for DD1; her old car was no longer reliable.

No comments: