Monday, January 26, 2009

Snowflake ball

I think I'm addicted to several finishes a week.

100_0787

My friend from Moonsilk Stitches found a couple of Temari books in her stash, and dropped them off. I immediately decided to make this snowflake from Diana Vandervoort's Temari Treasures, since I had fallen in love with the one my sister made with this pattern.

I found the different approaches to teaching in the various books very interesting. Diana holds your hand and tells you exactly what to do every step of the way, depending mostly on words. Barb Suess gives beautiful examples, with very careful instructions about techniques, leaving colors up to you, with beautiful pictures to inspire you. Mary Woods takes a step back from that and describes the techniques without giving any specifics, but has many examples of each to show the possibilities of color combinations; her Temari are not as beautiful, but mine look a lot more like hers. Some of the combinations are very successful, but others... not so much.

Fortunately, most of the Japanese books depend on (lovely) pictures and diagrams. Some of the Temari are only described in words. I'm hoping I get good enough at this to figure those out from the pictures too.

This temari was wrapped with cone thread. It is a c10 division, marked with perle #5, and then stitched with the perle and petite treasure braid metallic. I think I had 4 inches of metallic left. I found it very interesting that you removed some of the marking lines.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Great finish!!

I really want to try doing a temari sometime soon. Hopefully the Barbara Suess EGA CC :)

Moonsilk Stitches said...

I really like the monochromatic effect of this one...very elegant.