Thursday, August 14, 2008

Turquoise Necklace and First Sampler

I'm finding all kinds of treasures here in Michigan. I will still be posting things I found here even after I get back home. This is my mom's turquoise necklace that I made for her. She picked up the nuggets in Arizona, enough for 2 necklaces. It took me a long time to make them because it was a new technique for me, and I wasn't sure how to finish the clasp. I finally just did it. This one says "mom" on the sterling hoop. The one I made for myself has brown silk and the hoop says "survivor."

turquoise necklace

This one has turquoise and silver beads, and mine has turquoise and bronze beads.

This is a picture of the first sampler I made in floss. It was a stamped kit. I didn't know at the time that you were supposed to cross all your stitches in the same direction, but I only found one crossed different, but they are the opposite direction from the way I stitch now.

first sampler

I drew up the saying and just stitched it in outline stitch. The date on it is March of 1978; I had just been married a couple of years. The scene at the bottom is mostly done in packed outline stitch, and I really like it. There is some satin stitch, and one of the plants has chain stitch branches.

I took this piece to a regular framing shop and asked for a 1/4 to 1/2 inch reveal around the stitching, but they framed it right next to the stitching, and I was very disappointed. That was my first experience with framing, and I have been very careful with who I let frame my pieces now. Most of the time I try to frame them myself.

1 comment:

Moonsilk Stitches said...

Your mom's necklace is gorgeous! I am quite impressed by your first sampler! wow, big impresive projects even back then!