Finally, after the HEG meeting on Monday night, I am able to reveal our Sudoku Mystery project. Our committee discovered a Sudoku pattern in a magazine, and decided to offer it to our members. During our September meeting everyone received a couple of Sudoku puzzles, with the solutions in a sealed envelope, to be opened only in the case of emergency. In October and November we talked about how to stitch the framework for the puzzle, and now, in February, we finally revealed how the squares were to be stitched.
One of the first steps was to pick an overdyed floss, preferrably one with many colors, so you could pick out 9 coordinating colors for the squares. My overdyed floss reminds me of a pastel rainbow, so I picked out 9 rainbow colors, plus white, to use for my puzzle.
I am not following the stitch choices or combinations suggested by the magazine, but decided to do my own thing... which has been a lot of fun.
This is how far I am. We are using 2 sudoku puzzles, one gives the color, the other the pattern. For example, the white squares represent "1" on the color puzzle, purple "2", and pink "3." The other puzzle gives a "1" for the top left square in the puzzle, and I used basketweave to represent that number. So far, there is only one square in the puzzle that uses that pattern. If you would like to see the pattern for each number, you can look on my flickr page here, I have a picture of each pattern there.
It was a lot of fun to decide the pattern for each number. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do, but in a couple of cases I had to try 2 or 3 times to get exactly what I wanted. I still may have to take out the first "5" I did (on the bottom row, second from the left). There are a couple of gaps in the stitching I would like to do away with.
I am in Arizona! I was going to post a nice picture from the back yard of where we are staying, but I'm having trouble downloading the pictures. I will try to post some tomorrow.
Building by Just Going
1 hour ago