Friday, October 22, 2010

Day at the Beach

We had guests come over, my cousin's wife from Minnesota with the international students that stay with them. (I was very sorry my cousin wasn't able to make the trip!) They spent the day yesterday up in Chicago, and had a good time, but today they wanted to see Lake Michigan. We drove to the Indiana Dunes State Park, and I must admit, it was the first time I have ever been there, having lived in the area for over 30 years. The drive was pleasant, and the weather was beautiful.

The Park has been there a long time, and you can tell by the architecture. This building right on the beach is very ornate and beautiful.

IMG_0173

The first thing we noticed when we walked around the building was the Chicago skyline. You can hardly see it on this picture, but you could see all the tall buildings. They have to be 50 miles away!

IMG_0159

We lived near Lake Michigan when I was a kid, and we used to go to the dunes in our neighborhood regularly... this hill just called to me. Ummm, I'm not as young as I used to be, but I made it.

IMG_0164

This was the view from half-way up the hill was wonderful! I love the color of the lake, and of the sky.

IMG_0167

Then, once I got to the top of the hill, there was this beautiful scene. They had the pathways fenced off very strictly, because all the foot traffic tends to damage the ecosystem, but it was a beautiful panorama.

IMG_0168

I did see this lovely bush of bittersweet, growing right next to the path.

IMG_0169

Here's the view from the top of "Devil's Slide" having walked around the hill-top next to the beach. From here I had the fun of bounding down the mountain, and I didn't even get any sand in my shoes.

IMG_0170

I did have a chance to stitch on a temari ball this morning, for the first time in a week. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday I was preparing to teach a class for Beverly guild, my beginner class. There were 19 students! There was a lot of interest because someone in the guild had taken my intermediate class and had gotten hooked. The class went well.

Then on Tuesday and Wednesday I cleaned house to prepare for our guests, and then on Wednesday and Thursday we were entertaining. So it was kind of a relief to finally get to stitch, and my mood lightened about 100%. If I go too long without stitching, things are just Not Right. So I am happy to tell you, things are looking up.

No comments: