Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Quilt Treasures

I've gotten distracted from my conversation about quilts. There's one more I want to share with you. My great grandmother made five Double Wedding Ring quilts, one for each of her 5 daughters. I did not inherit the one she made for my grandma, but I did get the one she made for our maiden "Aunt Dora." It is like new, probably because Aunt Dora never married.

100_1874

This had to be made in the 1940s or earlier. I love the colors. Growing up with these quilts around (my grandma and my aunt lived together, so there were always 2 in the house) made me appreciate quilts, and also gave me the distinct impression that the Double Wedding Ring pattern was the best pattern, and the pinnacle of achievement for a quilter.

I never tried to make one, but I don't have to, because I have this one. Why mess with perfection?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous gift you have here. It's beautiful. And such perfect condition. Lucky you.