Kate received her package in UK today, so I can share this one now.
This picture is a little washed out. The colors were chosen to represent a Tiger. I started with a 32 face temari, and worked overlapping kiku on the short pentagon and hexagon lines in dark brown. Then I worked kiku stitches around the 60 hexagons that formed from the previous step in 2 shades of yellow.
After that stitching was completed, I took out the metallic marking stitches (that I had to make a special Friday evening run for) and stitched pine needle stitching (in metallic) in the center of each hexagon/pentagon to emphasize the negative space (white) flowers.
If I make this pattern again (which I might, I really enjoyed it) I would try to overlap the first kiku stitching more to give the flowers more of a cherry blossom shape (a little bit of a bite out of the tip of each petal). When you first see this temari, you get an impression of all the hexagons, but if you look at it from a little further away, you will see the white flower petals. One of the cool things about temari!
DAMN, DRAT, AND PHLOOEY
13 minutes ago