Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fabric Fruit

Today I am showing off a new purchase that I got in North Carolina. We visited a museum/craft store (here) that had lovely things. There was a lot of glass and pottery, wood and weaving, corn husk and stuffed dolls, and jewelry. Everything was lovely, I could have spent a lot of money! Everything in the store was handcrafted in the "southern highlands." I'm not sure if that included more than North Carolina or not.

100_0493cropped

I had just decided that I am interested in strawberry pincushions and emeries, and I just ordered a pattern to make fabric fruit, so these guys interested me a lot. They are made out of felted fibers, but they are still soft. The strawberry has "seed beads" (LOL). I love fidgeting with them, but I'm afraid if I handle them too much they will deteriorate.

4 comments:

Lelia said...

jane, these are delightful :)

Moonsilk Stitches said...

Hi, Jane: I can just see squeezing them to bits! Better put in some pins to reduce the temptation. OTOH, you could just needle them back togehter with a felting needle if needs be. Marjorie

JLC Studio said...

I think these are sooo cute and I want to make some (in fabric). Did you get the patterns yet?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Those fruits look familiar. I think they're the same as the ones we saw at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway. They're wonderful.