Sunday, February 26, 2012

Prescott, Arizona

A week ago Saturday we went to Prescott, Arizona. To get there we took a winding mountain road, with very little traffic. The scenery was amazing! I took a bunch of pictures to use to make Arizona color palettes; unfortunately, I don't think my camera picked up the greens correctly. (It is either that, or my computer... DH has a bunch of pictures, and I am going to look at those too, but I have to move to another seat to do it.)

DH drove, enabling the rest of us to relax and enjoy the ride.

IMG_1317

In Prescott we had lunch at the Palace Saloon; the food was excellent, the service was good, and it was a very cool decor. The original bar, over 20 feet long, was saved when everything else on the block burned down, the patrons moved the bar out into the park, across the street, while the fire was raging, and continued drinking. The original bar was built in the 1870s, burned in 1900 and was rebuilt then, and was refurbished in the 1970s. There was live music, guitar, bass, and accordion when we came in.

After eating, we did a little shopping (I got a cute pair of silver earrings!) and then went to the Sharlot Hall Museum, an outdoor museum where they have preserved the first territorial governor's log cabin:

IMG_1319

This is one of the 6 (!) rooms in the log cabin. Obviously, it was not a hovel.

IMG_1323

Elsewhere in the museum there was a display of Indian baskets, that was simply gorgeous. Unfortunately, I had trouble getting good pictures with the flash, but I will be able to see the patterns, if I need them. This picture turned out pretty good:

IMG_1332

There was a log cabin school house, and a more usual log cabin, modeled by my dad:

IMG_1343

I really like the wood stove. Of course, it didn't used to be a concrete floor...

They also moved the 5th governor's mansion to the property, built in 1875. It reminded me a lot of Lincoln's house in Springfield... same era.

IMG_1347

All the beds had beautiful quilts on them.

We couldn't stay long enough to see everything, because we had to get to a party! I got to visit with 3 of my aunts, always a pleasure.

2 comments:

Temari Addict Australia said...

Looks like you had a great trip. Those quilts looks lovely.

MOM said...

I thought I had posted the other day, but you know, this computer--always good to have something to blame. I really am enjoying the pictures from here. Cant wait till it's time for you to come again!!!