Thursday, January 8, 2009

Challenge from Pin Tangle--SharonB

Sharon Boggins from Pin Tangle has asked:

"There are lots of people in the craft world starting a new blog or have just started a new blog for the new year. According to statistics many will start but will flounder and stop.
I though I would throw out a bloggers challenge and ask why do you blog? What are the advantages? If you have time, share your ideas with me and new bloggers on your blog, swing back here and leave a link so people can follow it. "

I had been reading blogs for a year, and more people I knew were beginning blogs. Several people encouraged me to begin a blog; but I couldn't imagine myself writing about WIPs (Works in Progress); I usually work on large cross stitch patterns and don't have very many finishes, so I resisted for quite a while. Then one day I saw Jude's library blog, and I thought "I could do that!" I started blogging to record and comment on my textile collection along with comments on current projects and daily happenings.

The benefits of blogging are what have kept me going. I am enjoying the friendships that are beginning to grow, and the sense of community. A hidden benefit has been that my family can keep track of what I am working on on their own schedule. I'm enjoying showing off my treasures, and I've learned a lot too. I am amazed that I am even enjoying the process of writing; for many years writing in English was difficult for me. I look at my blog stats and I get excited when more people visit. I'm even approaching my 100th post. These are many small reasons that add up to blogging being a very satisfying activity.

5 comments:

Paula Hewitt said...

the sense of community is what I enjoy most about blogging. to me it feels like a giant embroidery guild meeting (not that Ive been to one) that i can attend whenever i feel like it.

Gillie said...

I love it too, and yahoo groups! We are all spread out around the world and someone is stitching somewhere! Where in IL are you, I'm in Lake County.

Lelia said...

JC: I'm delighted you started blogging -- I look forward to stopping by & seeing all your treasures.

btw, how did the EGA group respond to the t.balls? I wish I could have been there; however, both boyz were working shifts that night.

sharonb said...

Thanks for the post and answering I think it helps to think about why we do things sometimes.

jude said...

hey....thanks for the reference.....i too find the community nourishing. and i also find it a way to motivate a steady stream of thinking at the same time.