Friday, October 17, 2008

Gaudiest

I mentioned earlier this week that my boss had a bet on about how gaudy a shawl had to be before I wouldn't wear it. Well, this one comes close. The main color is gold, but all the other colors are also metallic, the fuchsia and the green and the purple. I have worn it, but only for a holiday party (at work) and only while I was at the party itself; not on the way to or from.

100_0592

I do love the fringe though! It's four layers deep! This is the kind of work you do when your mind is else where, and it takes a long time! But that detail really makes a difference.

100_0593

I took the workshop this week at my Homewood guild, and I'm in love with how the project turned out. This is paper piecing over cardboard, and it makes a darling little basket. The blue one is finished with a beaded picot edging.

100_0589

I think this one looks like a flower in this picture. The edging on this one is blanket stitch. These baskets are little, just about the right size to hold a thimble, so I thought I would start sharing my thimble collection too. I was going to call it "Thimble Thursday" but it's Friday.

100_0590

I hope you will forgive me. I got this thimble this past summer on my trip to North Carolina. I had heard of the Cherokee "Trail of Tears" but I had never made the connection that it started in North Carolina. The thimble isn't authentic (I'm pretty sure it was made in China) but it has served the purpose of making me aware of some of the sadder history of our country.

Cherokee thimble

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok - that is gaudy! the fringe is lovely, as are the little baskets - they would be just the right size for a little easter egg too....

Anonymous said...

I love pretty (gaudy) things. Your shawl is beautiful. Those cute little baskets would make nice little trinket gifts. Love them.