Monday, August 4, 2008

Cambodia Batik

This batik looks a lot more traditional to me than the map batik from last time. From what I can tell by looking at it, I think the resist was used first, then the light blue, red, and green were painted on, those colors were covered with the resist, and then it was over-dyed in the dark blue, and then the green/gold was painted on over the top.

Cambodia Batik

There are so many details that I like about this piece. I like the fish on the side of the basin, symbol of Christianity. I like the fact that Peter's foot seems to be "walking" on the water (not immersed in it). I like the colors, and the plaid towel, and I like the legs of the chair where you can tell the artist had a hard time making up his mind how long to make them.

We had a lovely weekend. We had a birthday lunch for Parker. His sister is getting a little put out that he has had 3 birthday parties in a row, and she hasn't had any yet. This is a picture of them at the zoo in Michigan City, in a tunnel that goes under the otter pool. Life is just so full of wonderful things!

at the zoo

After the birthday party, our daughter took us out to Soul Restaurant, and treated us to supper! She is so proud, because her firm did the decorating. It is a lovely place, the food is excellent, and of course the company could not have been better. We sat right in this corner. (At one point Jen had to lay out the light fixture on the floor to demonstrate how it actually went together; and she designed the "drum" light fixtures.)

Soul Restaurant

We will be going back there!

2 comments:

JLC Studio said...

Glad you enjoyed it Mom! I had fun too!! I like the batik print although I would have chosen different colors (at least for the background) if I had my say!!!! Hee hee!

Lelia said...

Luv your batik. It reminds me of some prints I saw at the Valp U art museum. see:

http://lelia-stitchesoflife.blogspot.com/2008/03/japanese-prints.html

Glad everybody enjoyed the party : ) Hope to see you on Friday at Camp Quality!!