I just worked on a blackwork project, that I will share later. I wanted to talk about one of the patterns. I got the patterns I used from "The New Anchor Book of Blackwork." I was a little surprised, because the book suggested using back stitch instead of double running stitch. A Group Correspondence Course (GCC) for EGA (Embroiderer's Guild of America) that I had signed up for several years ago was strongly suggesting that your stitches should be reversible; this method is not reversible; in fact, it is almost the opposite.
This is the pattern after 2 (and a bit) of the 4 steps. It looked very disjointed to me, and I was not sure how it was going to turn out. I was feeling very insecure.
And here is the completed pattern. The pattern fit into the shape I was filling very well, and I like the finished result. But!
The pattern on the back is completely different! The front shows circles, the back shows crosses. (No one is going to see it, but still!) I still cannot get over how that happened.
I really love that stitching can still surprise me so much.