Thursday, June 16, 2011

New Temari

I finished this temari last night:


This temari has been the cause of my temari block. I was not following a pattern, or a picture in a book. I had an idea, and I worked it out... and I don't think it is particularly successful. To begin with, the marking did not turn out the way I had hoped. I wanted less marking on this one, but I didn't know how to get it. Plus the marking is not symetrical. The spaces are bigger around the centers of the 12 pentagons than towards the outside of the pentagons. That is why the temari sat for a couple of weeks after I was done with the marking, before I started stitching on it.

The colors are pastel/rainbow colors. A couple of the pinks are a little too strong, and so throw off the color balance... but again, I was not sure what was going to happen with this ball. Hind-sight is 20/20, but I am not too much of a prophet.

This picture concentrates on the colors that do balance, and it looks quite nice. DH has characterized it as a "lacy" temari, and I think that describes it well. Even though this was an experiment, I learned a lot from it, so from that respect, I think it was useful.

Hopefully now that it is done, my temari block will also be done, and I can get going on some of the other temari patterns that are patiently waiting for me to get to them.


The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I think it is quite pretty and on a black background would be spectacular. The mistakes and the designs that don't work out make us better needleworkers, so don't worry that this was a waste of time. Trust me, it wasn't.

Moonsilk Stitches said...

My first thought was "cool, a blackwork temari." Lacy is good, too. I like it. And it seems like you learned a lot.