Friday, March 11, 2011

Beautiful, but not delicate

This is another temari copied from Nana Akoa's flickr site:

IMG_0408

I am very happy with how it turned out, even though it doesn't exactly match the model. When I looked at that one, my thought was "delicate." This one does not feel delicate, even though I used a size 8 pearl. You cannot see it very clearly, but this one sparkles. I did a quick wrap with pearl colored blending filament before I started the marking and stitching; I think it adds a lot in person. The marking is done with sewing thread, I think it has 162 facets. The centers and the hexagons/pentagons are stitched with the #8 pearl.

From studying my work on this one I can tell that I need a lot of work in making my markings even. Some of the hexagons are very misshapen. But in spite of that I like it! It goes very nicely with the snow themed temari I made last winter.

Our thoughts are with the people of Japan after the devastating earth-quake and tsunami. We have already heard from many friends that they are okay, but not from all. Please keep them in your prayers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this temari - the sparkles do shine through.

GailR (TSL group)

Laura B said...

I love Nana Akua's pictures, I've plans for so many of them. I did this same one but in very different colors, it always amazes me how different just a change in color can make.

Well done!!!

Best,
Laura B