Tuesday, September 14, 2010


We had a wonderful time at guild last night. The food was good, and the company better.

Our summer project, which I can start to show now, was to make a pin cushion using a glass candlestick as the base. I started by cutting out some shapes in the background color I wanted to use, embroidered a stem in stem stitch, and added some leaves by using straight stitches to make the veins.


After that I cut out a bunch of flower shapes and started adding to my base like adding flowers to a bouquet. I really like working with felt, you can get very detailed shapes, and you don't have to worry about your cloth fraying. I didn't have the best quality of felt, though, it's what I could get on-line using my Paypal credit. The places that had the best felt didn't take Paypal!


I set the top on the candlestick, and checked on the progress:


It still looks a little bare... but you will have to wait until tomorrow to see what I came up with.

My current temari stitching is starting to move a little bit better. It is again a multi-pole, and I am still working on the marking, I haven't gotten to the stitching yet. But it is (now) relaxing and I can pick it up for a couple of minutes at a time and make some progress on it. Up until now, it was a little bit of a mess, and a couldn't find my place, but I'm using different colored pins to help map out what to do next. Yellow means "needs work" and blue means "done with that step." I'll try to get a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean.


Beth said...

Your pincushion is so creative, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Temari Addict Australia said...

That's super cute Jane.
Rebecca from Perth

Laura B said...

This is such a neat idea! Can't wait to see it finished, it's really cute.